The Innovative Leaders Institute is a year-long training and mentoring experience for educators led by some of the top innovative school leaders in Tennessee. The Innovative Leaders Institute provides participants opportunities to network with other building-level leaders from across the state, visit innovative schools to examine different models of STEM integration, and share best practices and resources with the expectation of having an immediate impact on leader practice.
The Institute is designed to:
- Develop concepts of innovative leadership practices
- Enhance capacities to promote best practices across the curriculum
- Develop strategies to promote staff effectiveness and improve teaching and learning environments
- Prepare leaders with the procedures and policies to promote success
The Institute is led by experienced principals from Tennessee, who were selected because they have demonstrated positive impact on their schools through student performance, teacher retention, and creating and supporting an academically challenging learning environment for students.
The Institute’s curriculum is comprised of four strands woven together to give the participants a deep understanding of leadership to propel instructional improvement. Technology tools are infused throughout the curriculum in an effort to provide a set of sophisticated management and communication skills.
Instructional Leadership for Continuous Improvement
- Design Principles
- Strategic Plans
- Adaptive Leadership
Culture for Teaching and Learning
- Project and Problem Based Learning
- School Culture
Professional Learning and Growth
- Using Data to Drive PBLs
- What does effective PD look like?
- Building an Effective Staff
- Establishing Partnerships
TSIN fully supports the TDOE’s STEM Strategic Plan by guiding leaders in their design of implementing a fully integrated K-12 STEM education for Tennessee’s students.
Approved for 30 hours TASL credit.
2018/2019 DATES & LOCATIONS
Participants must attend ALL sessions.
In Person Sessions:
Session 1: September 13-14, 2018 – Knoxville Area
Session 2: Participants will attend one of the below sessions based upon their grade band:
Middle School: October 5, 2018 – Memphis
Elementary School: October 19, 2018 – Cookeville
High School: October 26, 2018 – Kingsport
Session 6: March 28, 2019 – Chattanooga
Virtual Working Sessions:
Sessions 3-5: Virtual Days – November, December, January – dates TBD
Who Should Apply
The Institute is open to teams of school leaders interested in or currently leading Tennessee schools or programs. Applicants must be two person teams and include a Principal or Assistant Principal plus an additional building-level leader (or a Principal and Assistant Principal team). Each applicant must complete the on-line application including uploading all required documents.
Please read over the application before beginning and be sure you are prepared to complete the entire application including uploading documents at the end. You will not be able to leave the application and come back to finish at a later time.
Documents you will need to complete the application:
- A complete CV or Resume
- A letter of recommendation, no longer than one page, from your superintendent (or equivalent for charter schools) indicating why you should be considered as a candidate for the TSIN Innovative Leaders Institute.
- The Commitment / Signature page (click to download) completed and signed by you AND your superintendent or director of schools, scanned and able to be uploaded.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can apply?The ILI is designed for two member teams consisting of Principal and/or Assistant Principal and a lead teacher. Three person teams MAY be considered if space allows.
- Can I attend just one date? Teams must attend all dates of the ILI. The 2018/2019 dates are as follows:
September 13 – 14, 2018 – Knoxville Area
October – Varied Locations/Dates by Grade Band (see above)
November, December, January – Virtual Days
March 28, 2019 – Chattanooga
- What if I can’t get the signature pages signed in time?It’s ok! Please apply anyway and send the signature pages as soon as you can. All of the forms will be required before teams can begin the institute.
- Is there a cost to attend the institute? Are there stipends for travel?The ILI is offered at no cost to participants. Participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements and costs.
- Do I have to be from a STEM school to participate?Participants do not have to be from a STEM school or have a STEM program already in place to participate in the institute.
Applications for the 2018-2019 school year are now closed. Thank you for your interest!